Every Saturday the club organizes and leads two bike rides in the morning. This is a fun training opportunity to spend some hours on the bike and ride with friends. New in 2012 we’ve added the Coached ride option, a shorter ride than the main ride focused on working together and developing group riding skills. Check the Calendar for start locations, time and routes for upcoming rides – all training events on the public calendar are open and a great place to meet the club. Road bikes necessary for Saturday rides.
What to Expect on the Coached Ride
Rides are usually 2 hours and it is a Coached Ride because the club aims at getting experienced riders lead and teach their knowledge to anyone that wants to improve their skills.
Our Coached ride is the best option for riders:
- With less experience riding in a group
- Are building fitness
- Newer to the sport
- Want to enjoy a more social and relaxed ride
With two Saturday rides the only bad option is to not come out and ride. Show up with your bike, and be ready for a great ride with your old and new friends from PTC!
Fundamentals of group riding
- Ride 6 ~ 12” behind person in front of you
- Do not overlap wheels
- When drafting, don’t stare at the wheel of the person in front of you – look ‘through’ him/her
- No sudden braking!
- Prevent gaps from opening up. If gaps do open up – close them gently (No surging)
- No coasting – always keep pedaling at a constant effort regardless of whether it’s flat/uphill/downhill
Obstacles & turn signals
- Shout ‘bike up’, ‘runner up’, ‘car back’ etc when other vehicle/person might come close to the group
- Point out obstacles on the road (such as major potholes).
- Use turn signals (before the turn – not in it!)
- Left turn = left arm stretched out to the left (horizontally)
- Right turn = right arm stretched out to the right (horizontally)
- Stopping = Left upper arm horizontal, lower arm vertical, hand open
- Flat tire or mechanical problem forcing only you to stop = arm straight up